Other Than Cards, What Other Collectible Hobbys Do You Participate In?

Post all off-topic discussions here
darz90scardz
HB Supporter
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 139 times

Re: Other Than Cards, What Other Collectible Hobbys Do You Participate In?

Post by darz90scardz »

^ that’s incredible threepoint, congrats. The space looks awesome.

I’m a bit of a music nut myself, nearly all genres/eras. I’m a bit younger so cassettes were my thing until the cd boom. Still have all my original stuff.

On the vinyl side, are you familiar with Beat Street Records in Brooklyn? Used to go there with a friend before they closed up shop, was a pretty famous spot.

I bet you remember the day Endtroducing came out.
@darz90scardz on IG
@duron on Blowout/Censorship Forums
AbraCalabro
HB Member
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:39 pm
I’m inclined to think a good chunk of collectors have had ocd at one point or another.
Collected coins for a while but in no way am I active anymore. Still have a strong interest in them though, especially Morgan silver dollars. Leme holla at your CCs.

Outside of the collectibles world, my main obsession has been a game called Unreal Tournament. It won game of the year in 1999, and I’ve been playing it ever since. A group of us were in communication with Epic Games and even invited to their offices in NC for what was to be their new Unreal Tournament release, about 15 years after the original. We’d give feedback on things like weapon balance, scaling and movement features. Early in development Epic featured a lot of my videos on their Youtube channel too, but ultimately the rerelease never saw the light of day thanks to Fortnite. Completely different kind of shooter and it zapped any of their remaining efforts because of the insane success of Fortnite.

In the last couple years a small group of top older players from the original game started organizing matches again for one last push. This was one of the promotional vids I had made to get past players to return. Fun times.

Oh and if anyone’s ever heard of Fatal1ty before, had a little fun at his expense a few years ago.
Take me back to those days. I want to go back!

Ah, if my black heart could produce tears...

23.dead
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by 23.dead »

Sell me your vintage surfboards!!!
Attachments
IMG_0845.jpeg
IMG_3985.jpeg
IMG_0024.jpeg
IMG_0863.jpeg
IMG_0852.jpeg
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

AbraCalabro wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:11 am
darz90scardz wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:39 pm
I’m inclined to think a good chunk of collectors have had ocd at one point or another.
Collected coins for a while but in no way am I active anymore. Still have a strong interest in them though, especially Morgan silver dollars. Leme holla at your CCs.

Outside of the collectibles world, my main obsession has been a game called Unreal Tournament. It won game of the year in 1999, and I’ve been playing it ever since. A group of us were in communication with Epic Games and even invited to their offices in NC for what was to be their new Unreal Tournament release, about 15 years after the original. We’d give feedback on things like weapon balance, scaling and movement features. Early in development Epic featured a lot of my videos on their Youtube channel too, but ultimately the rerelease never saw the light of day thanks to Fortnite. Completely different kind of shooter and it zapped any of their remaining efforts because of the insane success of Fortnite.

In the last couple years a small group of top older players from the original game started organizing matches again for one last push. This was one of the promotional vids I had made to get past players to return. Fun times.

Oh and if anyone’s ever heard of Fatal1ty before, had a little fun at his expense a few years ago.
Take me back to those days. I want to go back!

Ah, if my black heart could produce tears...

Timeless. Funnily enough, Facing Worlds is the furthest thing from competitive play. It really was a sight to behold though. Undeniably iconic, both the music and map.

Somehow our community is still surviving. Wanted to share this promo vid for the upcoming tournament. Unfortunately I'm not able to participate this time.
@darz90scardz on IG
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:28 pm
Timeless. Funnily enough, Facing Worlds is the furthest thing from competitive play. It really was a sight to behold though. Undeniably iconic, both the music and map.

Somehow our community is still surviving. Wanted to share this promo vid for the upcoming tournament. Unfortunately I'm not able to participate this time.
darz90scardz
HB Supporter

Post by darz90scardz »

AbraCalabro wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:19 pm

@darz90scardz on IG
AbraCalabro
HB Member

Post by AbraCalabro »

darz90scardz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:22 am
AbraCalabro wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:19 pm

OMG dude that's amazing lmao
Depitydog
HB Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Depitydog »

threepointplay wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:31 am There are some great other collectibles in here; but that is probably no surprise, as if you have the 'collecting gene' it is often difficult to keep it under control and limit to one particular item / product! ;)

Although I have been collecting sports cards since the 1990s, in reality it is my second 'passion'. The first is vinyl records. I am of an age that when I entered my teenage years (in the early 1980s) and started to seriously listen to music, vinyl was the only available format. CDs started to appear soon after, but only really became an affordable option in the early 1990s. I was heavily into hip-hop at the time and messed around with DJing as a hobby. By the time vinyl had dissapeared from most record shops and the vast majority of people had switched over to CDs, I looked at my record collection and decided that I was in too deep and it was going to cost me a small fortune to switch it over to CDs. So I stuck with vinyl and kept on adding to it. I was fortunate that my corporate career had global responsibilites, meaning I got to travel a decent amount & I would invariably hunt down local second hand record shops as result. I ended up with a collection that filled up three of these units in a small London flat!

When I called time on that career, I decided to turn that passion into a small business. So in 2017 I opened up a small record shop, which is now my daily home:

Turning a hobby/passion into a business does slightly change your interaction with it. Whilst I still love music & have an ever growing record collection (I am only buying things 'at cost' ofter all) spending my time on it 'after hours' would now drive me a little insane; there has to be something else to give my brain a break! Having got the shop firmly on its feet a few, collecting sports cards has very much plugged that 'hobby' gap!
i absolutely must visit your shop!

I too collect Records... while i have a few hundred. a hundred or so are autographed.

I also collect books, with a good 100 or so autographed as well.