Hunting for the one ring?

Pokémon, Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and other TCG and hobby talk
siuwongkee
HB Supporter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hunting for the one ring?

Post by siuwongkee »

I ordered this before I graded my 90s basketball card collection. I always assumed I enjoyed ripping cards. I mean if I knew these are pre-release boxes I would never have ordered them. (What company in the right mind will put the 1/1 ring at pre-release?) Anyhow, I lower the expectation to the 300/700/900 rings but I can be bluntly honest, the experience SUCKS. Why? The condition of the cards are just too bad, 70/30 centering, 7.5 edges and corners. I mean as a COLLECTORS, I am ok I do not get anything good but at least I can go grade the cards I ripped, but 99% of the cards will be at BEST get a 9, I still have 20 boxes to rip and I already lost the motivation. My partner asked if I want to sell it to the market, even knowing nothing good with be from them, I insist I will rip it to the end.

FB: siuwongkee
IG: siuwongkee
tastycardsandwich
HB Member

Re: Hunting for the one ring?

Post by tastycardsandwich »

If I could have gotten in at $250 or so I woulda gambled on a couple. But not worth the gamble at current prices.
I am a tasty boy. A tasty tasty tasty boy. Nom nom nom. TASTY! @tastycardsandwich on instagram.
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

What's the story with this ring card? This is a Lord of the Rings card, only one in the world (like the ring from the series?) and therefore everyone is hunting for it? I didn't even realize there were LotR trading cards. Obviously TCG isn't my specialty.
tastycardsandwich
HB Member

Post by tastycardsandwich »

SacKingsCards wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:47 am What's the story with this ring card? This is a Lord of the Rings card, only one in the world (like the ring from the series?) and therefore everyone is hunting for it? I didn't even realize there were LotR trading cards. Obviously TCG isn't my specialty.
It's a Lord of the Rings themed Magic the Gathering set.

There's a 1/1 Ring card. Magic the Gathering has never done a 1/1 card before.

Think of it like if sports cards had never done 1/1's before and then a set came out that just had a 1/1 Michael Jordan superfractor and no other 1/1's.

Obviously, that's not a perfect comparison as sports cards and MTG cards aren't exactly the same. But it's that general idea. One 1/1 card in the entire set and some wealthy folks have put out 7 figure bounties for it. So, people are hunting it Willy Wonka golden ticket style hoping to get rich.

It's a bit of a perfect storm. MTG + Lord of the Rings + 1/1 insane chase.
I am a tasty boy. A tasty tasty tasty boy. Nom nom nom. TASTY! @tastycardsandwich on instagram.
SacKingsCards
HB Member
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by SacKingsCards »

tastycardsandwich wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:30 am
SacKingsCards wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:47 am What's the story with this ring card? This is a Lord of the Rings card, only one in the world (like the ring from the series?) and therefore everyone is hunting for it? I didn't even realize there were LotR trading cards. Obviously TCG isn't my specialty.
It's a Lord of the Rings themed Magic the Gathering set.

There's a 1/1 Ring card. Magic the Gathering has never done a 1/1 card before.

Think of it like if sports cards had never done 1/1's before and then a set came out that just had a 1/1 Michael Jordan superfractor and no other 1/1's.

Obviously, that's not a perfect comparison as sports cards and MTG cards aren't exactly the same. But it's that general idea. One 1/1 card in the entire set and some wealthy folks have put out 7 figure bounties for it. So, people are hunting it Willy Wonka golden ticket style hoping to get rich.

It's a bit of a perfect storm. MTG + Lord of the Rings + 1/1 insane chase.
That's pretty wild; I can only imagine what something like that MJ example would generate in sports cards. Sounds like a ton of fun if you are in the MTG world.
mindcycle
HB Supporter
Has liked: 252 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by mindcycle »

Always looking for high end Nuggets cards, current players and Rare 90's/00's!
Player PC - Antonio McDyess, Danilo Gallinari, Gary Harris, Tim Duncan
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mindcycle_cards
Dan The Card Man
HB Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Dan The Card Man »

I really hope Post Malone cracks the card and sends it to BGS. Their unique slab looked amazing.